“There is no area of society which is not affected by substance abuse, and this includes the business community. Lost productivity, absenteeism, errors and accidents in the workplace can often be traced back to drugs which reduce, inhibit and in many cases eliminate creativity, competence and perception,” (National Institute on Drug Abuse: Drugs in the Workplace.)
Why Should Employers Care?
- Out of 146 million U.S. workers, 13.1 million came to work drunk or high in the last year.
- Almost 10% of adult workers say they have gone to work with a hangover.
- Full time workers aged 18-49 who reported drug use were more likely than those not using drugs to:
- Have worked for three or more employers in the last year,
- Taken an unexcused absence from work in the past month,
- Voluntarily left an employer in the past year,
- Been fired by an employer in the past year.
- Drug-using employees are:
- More than two times more likely to request early dismissal or time off,
- Two-and-a-half times more likely to have absences of eight days or more,
- Three times more likely to be late for work,
- More than three-and-a-half times more likely to be involved in a workplace accident,
- And five times more likely to file a workers’ compensation claim.